Saturday, January 24, 2009

Facebook

Okay, so am I the only twenty-something that isn't on Facebook? I've been resisting. I am so busy, and have been busily winnowing my list of "things that are nice to do but not necessary" so that I can focus on Young Women stuff, and Facebook just strikes me as very nice but not something I want to add to my list of "must be maintained". (Heck, I'm barely succeeding with my blog.) But....last night I remarked to my husband that I hadn't talked to my oldest friend in weeks, and that I really wanted to, but just hadn't been able to find the time. To which my husband remarked, "Oh, Jana? She's sick and headed to the doctor." My response "How in the world do you know what is going on with Jana?" Well, Luke was updating his Facebook page, and she's a friend of his on there, so he knows. What is up with that? Seriously.
And then we had Stake Training today, and all the YW leaders are having a brainstorming session, and one of the sisters from another ward comments that having a Facebook page is a great way to keep in touch with their girls, and to especially keep an eye on those that are less frequently attending church.
Agh. I cannot decide whether this is postive or negative peer pressure!!!!

7 comments:

Jana said...

Yeah, and I know Luke is on a diet (what's up w/ that?!) but didn't know that you had the flu! And yep, my entire family has been sick forever, we're all on drugs, & actually my kids are going back Monday b/c they're not showing signs of improvement. :(

Facebook really doesn't take much to maintain. Only folks who really get into it w/ all the pictures & everything. It takes me all of 2 minutes to hop on, see what everyone has as their lil blurb of the day, maybe change my lil blurb, then move on. Easier than a blog. In fact I blame it for letting me be so lax on my blog lately. Well, that & illness. And pregnancy. :o)

Yogurl & Manburger said...

Facebook stinks. Fight it Amanda! Don't give in!

Cindy said...

I just got talked into facebook. i liike it because it reconnects me with friends and family that I have not seen in a while or do not see very often...it is not as fun as a blog, though!

It does not take a lot of time to maintain!!

Cheryl and William said...

Facebook is MUCH easier than a blog to maintain. And it has put me in touch with so many people that I haven't seen in YEARS. Like today, I girl that I used to tutor back in Boston friended me and I was able to catch up with her. I really love being able to briefly catch up with friends from high school, college, etc. Give in to the pressure!

Jeff J. said...

I find this article from Slate on why Facebook holdouts should surrender pretty persuasive. http://fray.slate.com/id/2208678/. I mean, at some point if there are enough people using Facebook, not using it becomes a bit like those people who have never seen Star Wars and who refuse to now "out of the principle of the thing."

AmyMc said...

Hey Amanda! I was cleaning out old e-mail and discovered that you had sent me a link to your blog. How did I miss that the first time around!?!?! Anyway, this is proof that you can still connect with old friends without Facebook. I did however give in to the pressure and make a Facebook page, but do not have much time to get on it. It may have something to do with the fact that FB is blocked at work... I can however view blogs as much as I like.
Curtis and I have not really started a blog, but really would like to this year. Any advice on maintaining and starting a blog would be greatly welcomed!
It was wonderful reading over your recent blogs. Laurel is getting so big. She is so beautiful!

Rachel n John said...

You should join facebook...it takes about as much time as checking email, which for me takes very little time each day. And it's nice to feel connected. Blogs take WAY MORE TIME! Miss you!
Rachel =)