Friday, February 20, 2009

Date Day

It's so great when grandparents visit, because free babysitting is a major perk! We went out Valentine's Day in the afternoon (Luke and I have a strict policy of not going out on V-Day evening). Wow, dates during the day are the best! In the evening we're always tired and just feel like crashing on the couch. [Mom told the story of driving up and down the main drag in our town in Georgia on evenings when Daddy and she could secure a babysitter saying, "Okay, what do we do now? We had dinner, but it's too early to go back home..."] This I totally get.

Anyway, I'm been dying to get inside the Driskill Hotel. A local hotel downtown that is infamous for it's $300/night rooms. Incidentally, it's where Lady Bird and LBJ had their first date - now I think that's romantic. We visited their cafe instead of the fancy restaurant. Super reasonable prices and great ambiance. We sat at one of those adorable tiny curved banquettes that's just the perfect size for 2 people to snuggle up in. I love those! Naturally, I ordered the burger (that's my standard order at Sundance too). Their handcut fries were excellent. After our meal we strolled through the hotel, and upstairs Luke took me dancing in the ballroom. Granted, it was in the process of being set up for some event, but no one was around and we had the third floor to ourselves. I love when my husband takes me dancing! I'm a pretty easy to please gal - a good burger and some dancing in an abandoned room = priceless.

A big thank you to Oma and Opa for spending the afternoon with Laurel!

1 comment:

mikbeth said...

Oooh! Sounds positively ritzy!