Friday, February 20, 2009

Musings on Women and Developing Talents

So I have to give some e-karma to a friend of mine from Cambridge. Her very new blog (http://littlegreennotebook.blogspot.com/) received a mention in the Washington Post! Yes, our capital's main rag. Design has always been her hobby, but she recently launched into official part-time business owner status. I am so proud of her. I love to see fellow moms following their dreams, balancing raising a family, and developing their talents. It's so motivating!
Mostly because I'm been ruminating lately on what I would like to do to develop my own skills. I have hobbies, but I've discovered after two different gigs in two different states, that I'm really good at career counseling/life coaching/lending an ear. It sounds kind of fluffy, but it is marketable...But what do you do with that? And how do you put yourself out there and say, "Hey, I'm good at this, will someone please send some business my way?" How do you build that initial credibility?
Well, I just signed a contract as a corporate trainer with Balancing Life's Issues (http://www.balancinglifesissues.com/) (A thank you to my friend Cassandra for letting me know they were looking for someone in Austin.) I'm scheduled to run a lunch seminar in March - forunately it's a day that Luke doesn't have classes so I don't even have to worry about child care. But fun, huh? It will be really nice to get something on my resume again after an almost 2 year break. I'm looking forward to this chance to develop my skill set.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

This was so sweet of you to mention me, Amanda! You are such a supportive friend! I really appreciate that.

Congratulations on your new job opportunity! I'm sure you will do such a great job at this seminar and I can't wait to hear all about it!

J

Heather said...

Wow, that's great! It's especially nice when you can build/share your skills in a way that leaves you time to spend with your beautiful daughter.

Sarah said...

Congratulations!!! That's so exciting. I hope it goes well. I've been watching Sarah get excited to go back to work a day a week and seeing how important it is for her to use her other skills, so I think this is great. Best of luck.

Eric

Paige said...

Amanda, this is great -- and something I know you're good at. Way to go get 'em!

Yogurl and Manburger said...

Hooray for my big sister finding something that she is good at, enjoys, and they'll pay you for! I'm so proud of you! I know you and Luke must be excited about this opportunity.

Heather said...

Way cool, Amanda. If you ever need help with Laurel give me call.