Thursday, March 19, 2009

I am a yogurt snob

I really am - something about the womb, I'm sure. (My mom ate tons of yogurt when she was pregnant with me in Bulgaria.) I hate the cheap stuff. How much sugar does the average raspberry non-fat yogurt have in it? More than half the amount of sugar in a Coke. Blech. I'm a plain yogurt girl as a general rule, and was very happy. Until I discovered Greek yogurt in college. Um, has anyone tried Fage's 0%? Good merciful heavens. Creamy goodness, minus the normal plain "tang". Delectable. And with berries mixed in, it's heaven. Some people treat themselves to a pint of ice cream or a candy bar at the grocery store - me, I aim for a 6 oz. yogurt that is more expensive than I'd like. But then, it takes 3 times the amount of milk to make Greek yogurt. I've tried to economize. I've bought run-of-the-mill yogurt and strained it to get the Greek-y consistency. No dice - still not as good as Fage.
But I have to share my latest favorite brand: Siggi's. Icelandic style. Who knew? Siggi's has fruit flavored varieties for less than 7 grams per 6 ounces. I just tried their orange and ginger flavor. Perfection! Whole Foods HQ here in Austin carries the brand, so try your local specialty store. It's a revelation!

7 comments:

Paige said...

I'm with you 100% - Fage is the best! It's almost magical stuff -- you can substitute it for sour cream in pretty much any recipe, too, to cheat on the fat content in, say, red velvet cake. I'll have to go looking for Siggi's...

Chelsi Ritter said...

i used to give aspen the fage's 4%. she's a big fan, but i've never tried it. i always eat the dannon light and fit, with only 80 calories. i can't believe the brands out there with almost 200 calories for 8 oz! i wish i would have realized that sooner, but better late than never!

Chelsi Ritter said...

laurel is such a beautiful little girl, by the way! a perfect blend of the two of you!

Yogurl and Manburger said...

Greek yogurt is delicious, but I've found a plain lowfat yogurt I love out here. It's called Foremost and it's just made by some local dairy. Way cheaper than Dannon or other plain yogurts and way tastier. I've found that lowfat plain is less tart and thicker than fat-free, plus they saw eating some dairy fat is good for us women in the reproductive stage of life.

kdrociak said...

Hi there!

I see that you're a fan of Greek yogurt, largely due to its health benefits. Stonyfield Farm makes Oikos Organic Greek yogurt - the only ORGANIC Greek yogurt on the market today. I'd love to send you some free coupons to give Oikos a try. Just shoot me an email at Kdrociak@stonyfield.com if you're interested and let me know where to send them.

Take care!
Kristina

Heather said...

Amanda, your blog always speaks to me. I don't love plain yogurt like you do but Tabitha is way into it--I make it from whole milk and then mix some fruit puree and she is totally happy and I can feel better about not giving her added sugar. And we're always searching for the perfect pizza crust--we'll have to try the no-knead recipe which we use all the time for regular bread. And your post on spot cleaning between mops--brilliant!

anna said...

Amanda,

Laurel is so cute! I love, love her hair. She is darling and getting so big.

About the yogurt - make your own. We have been doing it almost our whole marriage and it tastes so much like the Greek stuff at a lot less money. It is thick and a little bitter and amazing! We put a little honey in it and some fruit - or eat it plain. Here is how you do it:
boil half a gallon of milk to get rid of any bacteria.
then cool the milk to room temperature (we throw it in the sink with a little cold water underneath)
then mix 1/2 cup of that milk with 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, and then mix that back into the rest of the milk you boiled and put it in a 2 quart tupperware.
Then put it in your oven and turn on your light. Or, if your oven is gas, your pilot light will keep it warm enough. Yogurt incubates at about 95 degrees - 100 degrees and your oven with its light on, or your oven with a pilot light, is just about the right temp.
let it sit for about 24 hours and then enjoy!

They have yogurt starting cultures, but we just buy the little thing of fage yogurt as our starter. So you get 2 quarts of yogurt for the price of one thing of Greek yogurt and a half gallon of milk (we use whole to make it nice and creamy, but you could try something with less fat if you want)

Has this been the most confusing post ever? It really is so simple. Email me if you have some questions. But you should try it - we love it and Grant calls it ice cream :)

Love, Anna