Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Burgers

I don't quite mean for all my postings to be about food...So...burgers. Love them! My mom makes great burgers and she will often cook them for our family when she's in town. Which I so appreciate! Thus for some reason, I have this entrenched idea that if company is around, homemade burgers are on the menu. But I have never made burgers. Before January. (Yes, I really am 29 years old!) When my sister and brother-in-law were in town, I finally pulled out one of my many burger recipes I've clipped over the years and decided to go to town. And this Bobby Flay adaptation is a definite winner. The thick-cut slices of onion really send it over the top. And yes, we really have a grill pan. One of those wedding presents that I wasn't sure we'd ever use, but it's great fun with veggies - and surprise - with meat!

2 lbs 90% lean ground beef
2 ½ t. coarse salt
1 ½ t. ground pepper
8 ½-inch thick slices sweet onion (from 2 onions)
2 T olive oil
8 slices cheddar (about 4 ounces)
8 hamburger buns, split
8 small romaine lettuce leaves
8 ¼-inch thick slices beefsteak tomatoes

1. Preheat outdoor grill or stovetop grill pan over medium heat. Preheat oven for toasting buns.
2. Divide beef into 8 portions; shape into thick burgers (handle as little as possible). Season with 2 t. salt and 1 t. pepper. Brush onions with oil; season with the remaining salt and pepper.
3. Grill onions 5 minutes per side. Meanwhile, toast buns on cookie sheet in the oven.
4. Grill burgers 5 minutes per side. For last 2 minutes of cooking, top each burger with a slice of cheese. Cover grill (or invert a stainless-steel bowl over grill pan) for 1 minute to melt cheese.
5. To serve, place burgers in buns and top with lettuce, tomato, onion, and mustard.

Note: Flay suggests making his horseradish mustard for these burgers (1 cup Dijon mustard + 2 T finely grated and peeled fresh horseradish or prepared horseradish, drained).

2 comments:

AmyMc said...

This sounds wonderful! And easy too. As soon as the weather warms back up, I will definetly give it a try. We use our grill a lot! Love it! I think my favorite is salmon with squash and tomato halves. All grilled of course.

Jana said...

Take this as you know it is coming from me:

I just turned to Brandon & said, "Amanda is such a nerd! (why?) She just made homemade hamburgers for the first time in her life, & she needed a Bobby Flay recipe."

Ahhh you make me smile! :D