Sunday, February 07, 2010

Loss

A week ago we received the phone call that Luke's father had passed away unexpectedly. There aren't words to express our sense of loss and sadness, but as I've spoken with people, I've been amazed at how much death has touched every one of us. The first two days were the worst - I discovered that grief is very much a physical pain - to be "heartbroken" is not a misnomer.
Church today was a very tender experience, and I am grateful for the Savior's Atonement and the knowledge that His sacrifice for all mankind allows Him to succor both those who move ahead beyond this earthly veil and those of us who stay behind. We've also become even more grateful for the principle of the Resurrection; Easter has always been one of my favorite holidays, and this year it will be especially poignant. I know that Robert Peterson still lives just as well as I know that my Savior lives.

Luke is in Utah now with his family, and very pregnant me is staying busy with Laurel. The outpouring of support from friends and family has been so humbling as they have truly mourned with us. God bless all of you!

9 comments:

Cheryl and William said...

Amanda- my heart goes out to you, Luke, and Luke's family during this time. I can't even begin to imagine just how devastating that is- especially with you being so pregnant. Thoughts, prayers, hugs and support are sent your way from me!!!

Steph Bowen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. You all are in our prayers. Much love.

Sarah said...

I am so sorry. You guys are in our prayers. Let us know if you need anything. Really, we aren't that far away. loves

anna said...

Amanda,

That is terrible news. I am so sorry for yours, Luke's and Laurel's loss. We will keep you in our prayers. I wish there was something I could do - if only you were still in Texas.

Allison said...

My heart hurts for you and your family - you're definitely in our prayers (and have been since we heard). We send our love.

Heather said...

I am so sorry to hear about Luke's Dad. It's hard enough when death is expected but to be unexpected is even harder. Your family is in my prayers and heart.

Chelsi Ritter said...

our condolences, amanda. i'm sure luke's father passing unexpectedly makes things pretty rough. my grandmother passed away just a couple weeks ago and it's been hard in some ways, but really it's been a special time because she had been suffering for a long time, and is now at peace. it's made me think a lot about our eternal journey, and how this life is just a step. i'm so glad we know that there is more to our existence than just this earthly life, and find solace in knowing we can see our loved ones again! our hearts are with you guys.

Lianne Barr said...

I am so sorry, you will be in our prayers!

Jill said...

Amanda, thank you. You touched my heart.