Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Valentine's Day


One of the ways that Laurel and I stayed busy while Luke was gone was prepping for a fundraising bake sale at the library. But do you know how much time it takes to make decorated cookies with a toddler? I had the brilliant idea to space the entire process out over 3 days. When I was finally ready to decorate I couldn't figure out how to keep Laurel's hands busy - I gave her a separate work station with two large sugar cookies, a glob of frosting, and sprinkles - she was happy for an hour. I was quite impressed at how pretty my creations turned out; I know that presentation is important, especially for a bake sale. I even raided the clearance ribbon bin at JoAnn's Fabric for this! (Got to work on my sprinkle-sprinkling technique though!) Incidentally, I had so much time on my hands that I actually made 3 different sugar cookie recipes. Good thing Luke is back in town!
Sunday morning Laurel and I made heart-shaped flaky biscuits with scrambled eggs for Luke and dinner was pork chops, asparagus, and a killer 2-person German Chocolate cake from Whole Foods. Delish!

5 comments:

Yogurl and Manburger said...

Your cookies look lovely, especially with the touch of ribbon. Maybe the secret to sprinkles is to have a bunch in a shallow dish or plate and kind of dunk the cookies in them, like they do with donuts or with glitter for art projects.

Jana said...

So I guess the sugar ban is over? ;)

Email me how you make your asparagus. In general I don't like it, but on a few occasions I have had it when it was edible, but I have no clue what cooking method made it such.

Allison said...

What a fun project - so which recipe for sugar cookies did you like the best? I'm very much a "soft cookie" kind of girl - any great finds?

Lianne Barr said...

What a good mom to let Laurel help in the kitchen. Sometimes it's hard for me to find the patience, but worth it!

Petertammenson said...

Oh Sarah, yes, plan!