Thursday, April 22, 2010

Accountability Project: 183.6 pounds

So I gained a heap of weight with Dean and I have a long row to hoe to get back to where I was pre-pregnancy. "They" say that being accountable to someone else helps focus one's mind on healthy eating and exercise, so I'm going to try being accountable to all of you! I'm 6 weeks postpartum today and am hopeful that in 10 months I can get down to 155, which is the easiest weight for me to maintain. When I was working on losing the baby weight from Laurel I used Dr. Beck's "Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person" - it worked like a charm. It focuses on cognitive therapy to allow you to be successful at any diet that you are working with. (Note: I really hate the term "diet".)The program is designed such that every day for 6 weeks you follow the exercises outlined in the book. As my life is nuts enough as it is, I'm going to do one exercise a week. The first is iterating why it is that you want to lose weight; Dr. Beck theorizes that keeping these reasons foremost in your mind can help you to make good decisions about eating - keeping one's eye on the prize. Here's my list:
1. Have the energy to keep up with my kids.
2. Be healthy!
3. Feel like an even more attractive wife.
4. Fit into clothes!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love your attitude toward dieting!!!! One more thing I love about you. It sure beats crash dieting. Good luck!

Heather said...

Good Luck. I'm totally rooting for you.