Thursday, May 13, 2010

Accountability Project: 177.9 pounds (Week 4)

Wow! Last week's task of eating while sitting down really proved more challenging. Especially as the week wore on and became busier. How easy is it to snag food from Laurel's plate as I'm cleaning up or randomly munch as I'm prepping dinner/lunch? Sure, if those munchies involve carrots or celery, that would be rad....
I also made it to the gym at our complex several days this week. Laurel plays and Dean falls asleep in the Baby Bjorn while I'm on the elliptical. His added resistance helps to burn calories, right? (He clocked in at 13 pounds 10 ounces at yesterday's 2 month checkup.)
This week's task is to "Take Credit" every time you do something right. Isn't it so easy to "mess up" your eating plans (i.e. the bread basket at a restaurant) and then feel that you've fallen short of your goals and then engage in more self-destructive bahavior? I know I've done it: "I already ate some dessert when I wasn't planning on it; I might as well eat seconds and thirds too!"
Dr. Beck's theory is that as you take credit for every small success, you build your self-confidence. I dig this! I think we ladies should take credit for more successes than we do; successes don't have to be things that the world at large would recognize as such.
Some people say that you should reward yourself when you follow your healthy eating/exercise goals. (Yay, presents!) But my favorite type of reward is edible; what else can I use to celebrate sustained success?
You may remember that last year I practiced a 3 month no sugary foods fast and rewarded myself with a pair of lamps from Target. My friend Christine once rewarded herself with a slipcover for her couch. Which makes me hypothesize that thrifty moms need justification for buying "pretty things" for our homes...

1 comment:

Allison said...

Wow - nice work! Matt and I are both in awe of the part where you hold Dean on the elliptical ...