Sunday, August 01, 2010

Out of character antique purchase

I've been needing some height in this corner of the living room, and I thought it would come in lieu of a rubber plant or fig tree. (In some magical future when I could afford to buy those things.) But I was yard sale-ing with my inlaws yesterday. (My mother-in-law sells reinvented furniture and scouts cheap furniture to makeover. She claims our Wasatch County yard sales are loads better than those in Payson. Well, yes, my mountain valley rocks!)

Anyway. Some owners of an antique store were selling some damaged pieces, and I pulled up to the house and immediately was drawn to this piece. Inlaid wood: walnut, zebra wood and other beauties. Handles to die for. 1940s Waterfall style. And it was only $45. I hemmed and hawed. I didn't need it. I don't need it. I circled it like it was a delicious chicken cacciatore from Basta Pasta. But the wood! The detail! I tried to drive away but I couldn't. I asked if they would take $40. It came home with me.

I may sell it on Craigslist for more than I paid for it. It doesn't quite fit with my style, and I can't quite make it perfect in the living room - the space needs to be about 5 feet longer. But in the meantime. I drool over it. And over Luke of course, but even Luke doesn't have architecture like this!

No comments: