Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Dean's 1st Birthday

I can't believe my baby is one already! Time flies, even though it seems that he's been with us forever. I asked Laurel what type of cake she thought we should make for Dean, and she said, "Coconut!" So I tried a Cook's Illustrated recipe that called for a traditional cook-the-eggs-and-sugar-over-boiling-water-using-a-candy-thermometer-then-take-off-the-heat-and-whisk-the-whites-until-they-reach-80-degrees frosting...I've always wanted to try a French/Swiss/Italian buttercream recipe, and I have to say that it is scrumptious! The inverse of my usual powdered sugar, little bit of butter frosting recipe; a traditional buttercream has more butter than sugar. The whole family was thrilled with how the cake turned out. And for once, this frosting spread like, well, butter. It was a gorgeous specimen.



3 comments:

mikbeth said...

Holy cow, what a good looking boy!! Oh, I just want to eat him up! AND that CAKE!!

plr7fq said...

I'm still trying to figure out who Dean looks like in the family. He just seems like a such a good blend, you can't put your finger on it. Congratulations on his 1st, the cake, and your wonderful family!

daddy said...

Great looking cake. Not as messy as chocolate. Great looking young man. Gonna be a bull. Ha. Love Opa.