Thursday, October 27, 2011

Humbling

Warning: pregnancy details, a bit graphic:

So we had a scare last week when I woke up at 3am, soaked in bright red blood. And my heart broke - because at 9 and a half weeks, I was pretty sure what that meant. We had to wait three hours in the ER until we could get an ultrasound to see what the baby's status was. Amazing the little guy/gal was in there, kicking, with a strong heartbeat, but the doc put me on bedrest for a few days. When I was able to get in to see my ob, she said that it was likely overexertion that bruised the implanting placenta, which caused it to bleed, and the blood just had to drain, so out it came. After she cleared me from bedrest, she cautioned me to be careful, but I ended up with more spotting the next day, and so she told me in no uncertain terms that I had to take it much easier. Fortunately, our timing at moving a 5 minutes drive from my mother-in-law was impeccable, and the ward has been so kind.

I've heard from various sources that this isn't uncommon for many women in their first trimester, but I've never experienced it before. And the sentence of bedrest is terrifying for the mother of any young children.

Guys, I was steeling myself for a miscarriage. And oh, I've always had compassion for those of you who have dealt with them, but my empathy is much deeper now. Those first couple days, when the doc discharged me from the ER with instructions about a "possible miscarriage/abortion", hoping that the cramping didn't start and that I'd stop bleeding - it was just awful. That first night I clung to Luke in bed, afraid to go to sleep because I was afraid to wake up to more blood. It was an emotional rollercoaster that I feel like I still haven't quite recovered from, and thus far my prognosis is good! Blessings on the heads - and wombs - of all mothers and all mother hearts.

6 comments:

Felicia said...

I can only imagine how horrifying that would be. So glad things are ok!

Paige said...

Hope things stay stable. Love you and yours!

Lianne Barr said...

I'm sure that was so scary! Congrats on the pregnancy, btw. I've dissapeard from blogging for a little while and have missed so much! I hope the rest of the pregnancy goes well. Number three was tough on me, I hope it doesn't treat you the same way! I miss you, we need to chat!

Cheryl and William said...

Only now that I am pregnant do I realize just how scary that must have been for you guys. I'm so glad that everything seems to be ok so far and that this little baby is already a fighter! Wish that I could be there to help you out but I am so glad that you are now super close to some family. HUGS

Chelsi Ritter said...

amanda my heart goes out to you! i can't even imagine what you must have been feeling. thank goodness the baby's alright and you are too! my sister just experienced a similar thing last week, and she's about as far along as you as well. thankfully her baby was just fine too. God has handed out several miracles lately!

mikbeth said...

What a touching post, Amanda, thanks for sharing. It all sounds so poetic on paper (screen). I love you!